9-30-2014 -Modified Sari - Bodice
I challenged myself to make a medieval-style outfit out of the patterns we had. I chose the Sari pattern by MicheDesigns (purchased through PixieFaire.com), and even made a bell-sleeve pattern to go with it. I traced off the pieces, lengthening where I thought it necessary, and picked out some fabric from my stash (more like a pile, but anyway...). The fabric was pretty, but it was also a cheap (in more than one way) pillowcase from Walmart. Anyway, I started with the skirt because I thought that'd be easiest. And, yes, it was. Then I moved on to the bodice (because originally it was going to be a dress, not a 2 piece).
First attempt. I told you it was cheap fabric. Grr... the needle on the machine stuffed it down inside the hole where the thread comes out (no, I'm not sure what it's actually called). To top it off, I managed to cut my thumb on the needle as I finally got the fabric out (new machine, and the screw to remove the needle was stuck). Instead of 'throwing in the towel', I cut the back piece (top of picture) off the front piece (bottom of picture) on this side, to preserve the strap length on the back. Then, after considering my options for a moment or two, I grabbed the first front piece I cut out (I had set it aside because the colors on that piece where more faded than the colors on the back piece) and sewed the now strapless front piece to the faded front piece. Then I finished sewing the bodice together, opting to leave it as a shirt instead of attempting to sew it to the skirt. However, the armholes ended up being too snug on my American Girl, so I had to downsize the whole shirt to fit a Magic Attic Club doll. Thankfully, all it took was a couple extra seams on the front and a couple extra on the back.
I tied the leftover piping around her head to make a headband. It does make a cute little dress, but I threw away the rest of that fabric. That nightmare is one I'd rather not repeat.
Doll: Amy (MAC Rose)
Doll: Amy (MAC Rose)